Insurance information: loss adjusters and loss assessors

After a flood, two insurance professionals can be involved with your claim. A loss adjuster and a loss assessor. This page will give you more information about what each of these two professionals do, their main roles and where you can find further information.

Please select a section below:

Loss Adjuster

Loss Assessor


Loss Adjuster

A loss adjuster is employed on behalf of your insurance company and will review your claim and decide what the company will pay for and what the company will not pay for. They may reduce the value of your claim if they feel that something you have included in your claim should not be covered. They represent the interests of the insurer and minimising the claim value requested.

Upon visiting the property, he or she will:

  • catalogue the damage
  • help you to complete supplemental details on the claims form
  • instruct you whether you can discard the damaged items
  • value the items to be repaired/replaced and the cost of the necessary repair works
  • eventually offer a settlement value for your claim.

The CILA (Chartered Institute of Loss Adjusters) website contains advice for policy holders on the role of a loss adjuster, which may be useful following a flood event.

back to top ↑

Loss Assessor

In contrast, a loss assessor will represent the interests of the claiming party. They are independently hired by the claiming party and will work alongside them to help negotiate a fair and reasonable claim. When the loss assessor visits the property, he or she will:

  • advise the affected party how best to complete the claim
  • advise the affected party what items may or may not be included on the claim.

For more information on how a loss assessor may be able to help you, visit the FLA’s (Federation of Loss Assessors) website.

If you are unsure about any of the insurance terminology, you can access a useful glossary online here.

It is prudent to record the dates and times of all calls or meetings with your insurance company and who you spoke to. The website offers free additional guidance for contacting your insurance company.

Even if you cannot claim on your insurance policy for the flood damage (for example, because the losses fall below your excess threshold, or the policy was subject to a condition that you did not observe) you should still check your policy as it may require you to inform your insurer of the flood and consequent damage.

Do not start clearance works or repairs until you have authority to do so from your insurer. Once you are told you can begin, make sure that you keep copies of all instructions given to contractors and all invoices and receipts for work done.

back to top ↑

Are we missing something?
Please get in touch and let us know.

Image attributions

Insurance by airpix | CC BY 2.0