Scottish Grants and Funding

This page gives a link to current flood grants available for home and business owners living in Scotland, as well as a range of additional resources and sources of funding that may be useful. This page includes details of the following opportunities:

Scottish Government Grant funding

Royal Agricultural Benevolent Institution (RABI) funding

Emergency Financial Assistance Scheme

Additional resources


Scottish Government Grant Funding

The Scottish Government announced in December 2015 their commitment to provide £3.94 million of funding for flood support of households and businesses in the worst affected areas. Following this, further funding was announced on 9th January 2016 to assist those affected by Storm Frank in early January. This will come in the form of  a flat rate £1500 grant funding for homeowners and £3000 funding for business owners.

This funding is applicable to any UK residents located in Scotland that has been affected by flooding since July 2015. The Scottish Government have produced this guidance document for local authorities to use as a reference which gives a comprehensive understanding of how the grant can be spent.

This funding is Scottish Government funded but is administered through your local authority. To apply for this funding, please contact your local authority for more information. To find your local authority, please click here.

Back to top ↑

Royal Agricultural Benevolent Institution (RABI)

RABI are a UK based welfare charity aimed at improving the live of farmers and their families across the country. They can provide financial and guidance support for farmers who have been impacted by flooding in recent years. RABI’s help in a crisis page gives more details about ways they may be able to help. RABI paid out over £31,000 in a single month in grant funding to assist farmers following the devastation of winter flooding in 2015.

If you are a farmer and have been affected by flooding visit RABI’s website and see their ‘how to apply for help‘ page for further information.

Back to top ↑

Emergency Financial Assistance Scheme

Formally known as the Bellwin Scheme, this financial assistance scheme is discretionary and gives financial assistance to Local authorities as well as police and fire services. The most up to date guidance information regarding this scheme can be found here. This gives maximum eligibility of an additional 0.2% to these authorities based on revenue budget for each. The Scottish Government have created this document to outline the available costs to each authority. For more information please click here.

Back to top ↑

Additional resources

You may be entitled to additional funding from various independent charities. For more advice on this, please visit thee Turn2Us website. A link to this is available here.

If you are concerned about a lack of housing as a result of flooding, Shelter’s website may prove useful.

You can also always contact the citizens advice bureau too for additional advice. The Scottish section of the website may be able to confirm any additional details you are unsure about. You can access their website here.

The Red Cross Charity’s website also gives an array of information for support in an emergency.

Forage Aid may also be able to help if you are a farmer who has been flooded. You can contact them by clicking here.

Floodline Scotland’s website (funded through SEPA) contains further guidance and contact information. Alternatively you can call Floodline on 0345 988 1188. Floodline have also created a useful guide for help with insurance if you are struggling to protect your home. For additional guidance on how to protect your home, please see our pages on this. We have created links for householders, as well as for business owners. There is a separate document (accessed here) which has also been created giving guidance for older communities. Floodline also provides a free flood alerts service to get advanced notice of flooding in your area. To sign up for this service, please click here, this will take you to the SEPA website. This page explains the various types of flood warning and how to sign up. You can also view this simple PDF document which explains this further.

If you have noticed a flood, please report it through the “Report-a-flood” Tool. This can be done by clicking here. It is also essential that you know who to contact.

Back to top ↑

If you have further information regarding flood grant funding in Scotland, please contact us at [email protected].


Image attributions

IMG_3727 by Alasdair McKenzie | CC BY 2.0 (cropped)
Consumer Spending by 401(K) 2012 | CC BY-SA 2.0